Merger and Acquisition Consulting
It’s hard to name many business transactions that are as risky and complex as mergers and acquisitions (M&A). Yet, when M&A transactions are approached with an understanding of the risks and challenges involved, along with careful due diligence and thoughtful planning, organizations can thrive in a post-merger or acquisition environment. That is where Ivy Capital Advisers can help. By working closely with the buyer (acquirer) or the seller (firm being acquired), we significantly enhance the probability of success for all concerned.
Ivy provides unmatched expertise throughout the transaction support services life cycle—from initial target acquisition screening and commercial due diligence through post-acquisition integration support. We call on this experience to realize synergies of transactions. We also help clients identify the true value of an opportunity by combining our meticulous financial analysis with the deep industry knowledge required to understand how the shifting market landscape can impact potential deals. Our worldwide team provides the local insight and language skills required to orchestrate complex multinational M&A transactions.
Post M&A statistics are bad…so what goes wrong?
Most businesses contemplating an M&A transaction do not realize that over 85% of M&A deals fail, according to a recent KPMG study, and that the total return to shareholders on 115 global M&A transactions was negative 58%, according to another study by A.T. Kearney.
As a means of defining a successful approach to M&A, our approach addresses what normally goes wrong and helps mitigate those factors ahead of time. Some of the most common problem factors include:
- Ill-defined M&A key outcomes that are not measurable or quantifiable
- The M&A planning effort was not well defined or executed
- Neglecting core business
- Underestimating people impacts, such as:
- Employee attrition and loss of key management
- Not transitioning core competencies of acquired company properly
- Culture mismatches, not managed properly
- Focusing on terms and conditions and not the logistics
- Poor due diligence
- Underestimating the cost of the merger
Navigating the M&A Ecosystem with Method Frameworks
Our M&A services add value for our clients from day one of the engagement. By leveraging our experience and thorough process, risks are identified and managed. Our offerings include:
- Buyer / Seller Ecosystem Assessment
- Full Due Diligence
- Change Management Strategy
- “New-co” Strategic / Operational Plan Review and Update
- Technology Integration Planning